Dear my beautiful first born son,
I hope you know how happy these 11 years have made me. You have a smile that shines brighter than the sun. You have an infectious laugh that makes everyone around you laugh and smile. You have always been a happy child, who always wanted to make others laugh. You have a true heart that cares for others in ways that most children today don't think to do in today's world. Your heart hurts when you see others that are hurting. You show compassion that most adults do not have. You love with all your heart and that makes me a proud momma. I love that you still love your stuffed animal (Hippo) and blanket; and still sleep with it 11 years later. You are so incredible in every way.
I have enjoyed watching you grow and help mold you to be the person you are today. I have been able to spend your school days with you while watching you grow up. I am such a lucky mom being able to see you everyday and I love that you still want to come give me a hug and kiss every time you see me. I pray that doesn't ever stop! I love that you still will come let me hold you when you know I need some loving or just to let me love on you a little while longer. I can't believe the young man you are turning into.
In 3 more days you will be moving from the 5th grade and no longer in a school where I can walk by you and check on you. You will be in a place out of my reach and my eyes, where I can no longer protect you and make sure you are always making the right choices, because you are a teacher's kid, and you must always do the right thing, right?
There comes a time that we have to let you go, just a little bit, to grow and experience life and spread your wings. Though not too far, but just enough to let you know that I can't be there to guide you in the right direction, and I can't be there to make sure you are making the right choices and paying attention in class and choosing the right friends. Middle school is a time for you to grow some wings and be the young man that God wants you to be. We know you will make mistakes, but we pray that you will learn from those mistakes and they guide you to be someone that will make us proud.
You have grown up right before our eyes. You were just a baby yesterday, and now today you are leaving the place where I know I can always keep you safe and there are eyes on you all the time that will tell me if you weren't behaving the way you should, or the friends you were picking were probably not the best ones to choose at the time. You are moving to middle school where that time will fly, as well. Then you will move on to high school, which I am not ready to think about it, just yet.
My son, I write this for you to know that you have your whole future before you and I want you to grab the world with both hands and run with it! Take advantage of what is right before you. You will make stupid mistakes and do stupid things, but your daddy and I will never stop loving you and I will never stop being your mom. I pray that your father and I raised you the right way and continue to be this kind hearted and Godly young man. I pray that you will continue to find friends that have the same values as you, and not just try to fit in with what you think is cool. I don't ever want you to stop being you for someone else. Don't ever stop standing up for what you think is right!
As hard as it is for me to think of you leaving elementary school and moving into middle school, I just wanted to let you know I love you more than you will ever know and I am so proud of you. You will take a piece of my heart when you walk out those doors for the last time as a 5th grader on Friday, but you make this mommy proud of the young man you are becoming. I wish you the best in life and may your life always be blessed and full of love and happiness. You are my world. I love you to the moon and back! In my eyes, you will always be that sweet, curly headed boy carrying around your hippo and blue blankets. You will always be my baby.
Here's to all the momma's trying to keep it together on the last day of school, whether it be middle school, high school or college. Our hearts beam with pride with their successes, but it makes us sad to see the door we used to have right before us close, only to have another one open right before them. I will try to keep it together as I try to teach my 2nd graders and watch my first born walk out the doors of our school as a middle-schooler.
No comments:
Post a Comment